125ml almond oil
175g Mossop's Rewarewa honey
50g tahini, stirred before measuring
2 eggs, 60g each
½ tsp ground clove
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp cocoa
200g grated carrot
1 small apple, grated with peel, stalk discarded
50g naked (uncrystallised) ginger, very finely chopped
150g raisins or chopped dried apricots
175g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
extra honey to finish
butter for the tins
For the icing:
200g cream cheese
2 tsp lemon juice
80g icing or caster sugar
1. Heat the oven to 160C/140C fan forced.
2. Put the oil, honey and tahini in a mixing bowl and beat until smooth. Next beat in the eggs, spices and cocoa.
3. Stir in the carrot, apple, ginger and raisins then mix in the flour and baking powder until evenly combined.
4. Butter a 10-cup capacity loaf tin. Pour the batter into the tin and bake for about one hour and 15 minutes until the cake is risen and firm. Allow to cool for a few minutes before releasing gently from the tin.
5. Boil about 50 grams of honey for a few minutes to thicken slightly then brush it over the loaf while it's still hot.
6. To make the icing, beat the cream cheese, lemon juice and sugar together and ice each cake using a broad, flat palette knife, dipped in hot water.
Original recipe from Goodfood.co.au