Apple & Pecan Spice Cake with Honey Cream Cheese Icing
200g butter, softened
250g sugar (or substitute with Mossop’s Field & Tawari liquid honey. Click for details)
3 eggs, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
150g sour cream
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons mixed spice
2 cups diced peeled apple (2 medium apples)
70g pecans (half chopped, half reserved for garnish)
1 tablespoon Mossop’s Field & Tawari liquid honey (for pecan garnish)
150g firm-style cream cheese
1 tablespoon each: icing sugar, Mossop’s Field & Tawari liquid honey, brandy
- Preheat oven to 175°C. Grease and line a 23cm round spring-form baking tin.
- Cream butter and sugar (or honey) with an electric beater until pale and creamy.
- Beast in eggs one at a time then stir in sour cream and vanilla. Sift over flour, baking powder and spice and fold in with chopped apple and pecans.
- Spoon mixture into tin and bake 40-45 minutes or until golden and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool completely before icing.
- Whisk together cream cheese, icing sugar, Mossop’s Field & Tawari liquid honey and brandy until combined. Spread over cooled cake.
- For pecan garnish, toss remaining pecans in honey in a small pan over moderate heat until caramelised.
- Lift out on to foil to harden before placing on cake. Cake can be stored in a covered container in the fridge for 1-2 days. Serve slices drizzled with extra honey if desired.