Honey carrot cake
125ml almond oil
175g Mossop’s Rewarewa honey
50g tahini, stirred before measuring
2 eggs, 60g each
½ tsp ground clove
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp cocoa
200g grated carrot
1 small apple, grated with peel, stalk discarded
50g naked (uncrystallised) ginger, very finely chopped
150g raisins or chopped dried apricots
175g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
extra honey to finish
butter for the tins
200g cream cheese
2 tsp lemon juice
80g icing or caster sugar
- Heat the oven to 160C/140C fan forced.
- Put the oil, honey and tahini in a mixing bowl and beat until smooth. Next beat in the eggs, spices and cocoa.
- Stir in the carrot, apple, ginger and raisins then mix in the flour and baking powder until evenly combined.
- Butter a 10-cup capacity loaf tin. Pour the batter into the tin and bake for about one hour and 15 minutes until the cake is risen and firm. Allow to cool for a few minutes before releasing gently from the tin.
- Boil about 50 grams of honey for a few minutes to thicken slightly then brush it over the loaf while it’s still hot.
- To make the icing, beat the cream cheese, lemon juice and sugar together and ice each cake using a broad, flat palette knife, dipped in hot water.
Original recipe from Goodfood.co.au