Honey walnut caramel brownie
400g unsalted butter, divided
1 1/2 cups sugar
Pinch of salt
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup Mossop’s Field & Tawari liquid honey
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 cups chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Grease a 9-inch-by-13-inch baking dish with baking spray or butter.
- Cream sugar and 2 sticks butter together in a bowl with a mixer until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time and mix until fully combined. Add salt and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract and stir. Add flour and cocoa powder and combine until fully combined.
- Spread batter evenly in baking dish and bake for 25-28 minutes or until firm in the center. Set aside to cool.
- Melt 1 1/2 sticks butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add Mossop’s Field & Tawari liquid honey, brown sugar, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Stir constantly so sugar does not burn. Bring to 105 degrees C on candy thermometer and add heavy cream. Stir to combine. Bring to 113 degrees C or “softball” stage on the candy thermometer. Add walnuts. Stir to fully coat nuts.
- Pour honey walnut caramel over brownies and chill until firm.
Original recipe by Billy Apperson of 18 Seaboard