Orange, carrot, honey and pumpkin seed muffins
3 free-range eggs
¾ cup oil or melted butter
¾ cup Mossop’s Field & Tawari liquid honey
1 very ripe banana, mashed
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
2 medium-sized carrots
1 teaspoon baking soda mixed with 1 tablespoon warm milk
Finely grated zest of 2 oranges
2 cups self-raising flour
1½ teaspoons mixed spice
½ cup desiccated coconut
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup pumpkin seeds
½ cup sunflower seeds
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, oil or butter, honey, mashed banana and vanilla together.
- Grate the carrots directly onto a clean tea towel, then wring the tea towel to squeeze out the excess moisture.
- Stir into the mixing bowl 2 loosely packed cups of carrot, the baking soda mixture and the orange zest.
- Sift the flour and mixed spice into the wet ingredients and add the coconut, salt and seeds. Stir into the wet mixture, being careful not to over-mix (to avoid tough muffins).
- Line a large 12-pan muffin tin with paper cases and spoon the batter into the cases, dividing equally. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the tops of the muffins spring back when gently pressed.
Original recipe from Nadialim.com