Did you know that you could substitute sugar with honey?
Mossop's Honey can be used in most baking recipes.
Honey in baking improves the moisture, texture and flavour of a recipe, and because it is more easily metabolised than sugar, and has vitamins and minerals in it, it must be good for us!
1. For each cup of sugar, substitute 2/3 cup of honey.
2. Reduce other liquids by approximately 1/8 to 1/4.
3. If you are baking a cookie or cake recipe that has baking powder or baking soda, you will want to add and additional 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda to the dry ingredients for every cup of honey. Why? Because honey acts as an acid in baked goods and it will react with the baking soda and make your cookies/cake rise. When you bake with sugar, on the other hand, there is no chemical reaction between the sugar and the baking soda and therefore no need to add it. (Baking soda is often in recipes that include white sugar because it reacts with other ingredients in the recipe e.g brown sugar, sour cream, cocoa, buttermilk.).
4. Honey browns faster than sugar so you'll want to reduce the temperature to 20 to 25oC or 10 to 15oF
3 Benefits of Honey for your health:
1. Honey is a naturally rich, high nutritious food as well as being a sweetly delicious one, which means it is gently metabolized by the body. Because of this, it provides energy easily and naturally for the body to use.
2. Full of nutrients, honey contains simple sugars, which can be passed directly into the blood stream without being processed by the body – this means longer lasting energy rather than short spurts of energy.
3. You can substitute sugar for honey. One tablespoon of honey is required for every one and half tablespoons of sugar. Or for each cup of sugar substitute ¾ cup of honey.